Thursday, February 2, 2012

Back from Hiatus #2

Game 1 : http://replayfu.com/download/mBz1Hj
Game 2 : http://replayfu.com/download/1C9dDc
Game 3 : http://replayfu.com/download/nwGKpd

Bored / not feeling great so playing some sc2, decided to pop the blog back up for learning purposes mostly.
Three ZvPs, earlier today I went by my good friend 'remontoire's house and he was watching a few sc2 vods. He was watching slush and some other guy that wasn't great (his play felt like a more intelligent version of mine.. all over the place and without rigorous reasoning behind his decisions) but thats fine, it was slush's play that rem pointed something cool out about. Something I tried to do these games although its hard when you give it a go before planning it out.

The idea: 'Saturate' each base, but only to 16 drones on minerals.

It seems like a small thing but the way rem talked about it made me feel like is really is so much more "crisp" to put it in his words. In each of these 3 games there was many problems in my play. poor scouting, poor injects, poor creep spread, getting supply blocked but all of these will go in time as I focus on them one by one. To keep the overall strategy the same and practice it is important though and that is what I tried to do in these games.

a - expand safely
b - get lings
c - get mutas and banelings

There is much to be added still but these are the 3 things I want to do most of all.
Quick run down of game with emphasis on anything interesting (sorry if you don't find it interesting)

Game 1 : Entombed Valley
Classic annoying protoss thing to do.. try to cannon my nat (15hatch). Pushed off three base with stalker/colossus/zealot/stalker.. I almost held it off but didn't quite. No matter, nothing really interesting except that it 'felt' a little better in terms of making units because of the way I droned but this might just be confirmation bias so on to game 2.

Game 2 : Antiga Shipyard
Classic annoying protoss thing to do x 2.. try to cannon my nat.. again. Not interesting.
Interesting: the game went pretty much stereotypically. he forge fe'd, i took a 3rd etc.., however because I only put 16drones per mineral line (+6 for gas when needed ofc) I started producing lings a lot earlier. my mutas were delayed only for my bad playing but point is, when it came to a fight (i think at 13mins) after i did some harassment, his zealot/colossus/stalker/sentry ball melted to banelings/lings. reinforcement lings + mutas led to the gg.

Game 3 : Antiga Shipyard
Before he had a chance I had a whinge at him about the cannon thing and he didn't do it this time... but before you conclude that hes a learner. It wasn't because he realised they are annoying and don't work unless well executed or I screw up. It was because he went fast robo, saw it with a ling really early. A few immortals and what felt like a very long amount of time later his warp prism? arrives to some lings and queens. He doesn't get to use it very well, and I counter attack with lings (morphed them into banes at his door and broke some things then sent more lings). He had no choice but to push at around 13mins off one base (i was on 2 heading to 3) but mutas popped and cleaned up.
Interesting: The 16 drones left me feeling like I knew exactly when to start producing instead of guessing, and at the same time my econ was strong enough to counter attack and hold off an attack.

I'll keep playing it while trying to improve other mechanics and post up a few more of these when theres time.

No comments:

Post a Comment